-
October 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi,
I am so happy to have found this board.
My little girl just turned 6 and has been
looking through the American Girl catalog.
She is begging me for a doll.
We are overwhelmed by the choices. I am not
sure whether to order a Today Doll or pick Marisol.
Could you please post pictures of your Marisol dolls? Is her hair difficult to style? Is the Hair DVD worth buying?
I have never spent so much on a doll so am nervous about choosing the right doll for her. We would have to order it via mail since we don't live close to any of the stores.
Thanks for your help!
Take care,
Julie
-
October 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Personally, I would start with a historical doll. Go to the library and check out the meet books. You may even be able to get Marisol's book. (DO NOT get Lindsey or Kailey's meet books-- those are retired girls of the year, no longer available and will cost you a fortune on eBay-- you don't want her interested in those until you are sure she's going to love and really care for her dolls well.) Read these books together to see which doll's personality she likes. They take about a 45 minutes to read aloud, and are in chapter so you can break it up. The focus of these dolls is supposed to be their books, learning history and their characters. I would try to stick to that purpose. If she doesn't have a selection from those dolls, then I would consider a modern doll.
Of course, if she shows an interest in Marisol, you will want to order her right away. Even if she wants a historical or Today now and you can afford it, get a Marisol and put her away. She will sell out soon. If your daughter wants her later, you have her at retail (or less with the discount codes). If she doesn't, you will be able to sell her, most likely for a profit.
Hope this helps!
Heather
-
October 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
#3
ponydreamer
Guest
Here is a picture of Marisol, right here in my signature. I am an adult, but I brush her hair a lot.
I, too, vote for a historical. Reading the meet books is a good way to find out what your DD wants.
Have fun!
-
October 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I bought Marisol as a Christmas present for my 6 year old dd. The reason being that she loved her when she saw her in the catalog and also she loves to dance. She takes tap, ballet and hip-hop since the age of 3 and related to Marisol in that way. If you want her order her soon! She will sell out as she is a Limited Edition doll. Keep us posted! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
October 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM
#5
Inactive Member
My 4-year-old is getting Marisol for Christmas because she is a dance freak - she takes ballet, tap and jazz and pouts because I think she is too young to take hip hop. My child doesn't walk - she either twirls or jetes everywhere. If you have a daughter into dance, I would definitely get Marisol. Otherwise I would pick one of the historical dolls - either one whose stories she likes or maybe a Molly or Kit that a grandparent could identify with and share stories.
-
October 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Welcome to the board, Jewely! I love your board name. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
If your daughter really wants Marisol, I say go for it. I think that's a great doll to start.
When I first got interested in AG, all they made at the time were three historical dolls - Samantha, Kirsten and Molly. So I have a strong connection to the historical-themed dolls. My daughter and I read all the Samantha, Kirsten and Molly historical books from the library and she decided she loved Kirsten the most. But I was partial to Samantha's accessories so that made for years of mixed collecting.
I think if the AGT dolls had been available when we first learned about the company, my daughter would still have picked Kirsten. But I'm sure she would have loved many of the AGT outfits and accessories more than historical items.
Marisol is such a fun doll, with all her ballet stuff. If your daughter has an interest in ballet, definitely consider getting Marisol because it's a limited edition doll. I doubt any doll in the future will have a dance-related theme.
Glad you found this board!
Julia
-
October 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Jewely,
Don't forget - a 10% off code has been posted in another thread!
-
October 28th, 2005, 07:24 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Just my opinion, but I would start off with a doll of today or one of the historicals. Has she read the stories? If so, than maybe she has one in particular she would like. Since Marisol is LE and might possible go up in value, although I don't think anywhere near as much as Kailey and Lindsey, I would purchase her now if you think she might be interested in her and just keep her in the box until you see how well your daughter does with one of the others.
-
October 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
#9
Inactive Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by balletmom:
[QB]My 4-year-old is getting Marisol for Christmas because she is a dance freak - she takes ballet, tap and jazz and pouts because I think she is too young to take hip hop. My child doesn't walk - she either twirls or jetes everywhere. If you have a daughter into dance, I would definitely get Marisol. Otherwise I would pick one of the historical dolls - either one whose stories she likes or maybe a Molly or Kit that a grandparent could identify
I think it depends on the child. My youngest is almost nine and she is heavily into ballet. She takes classes four times a week including a jazz class and will be in the company next year. She wans to dance professionally some day. I gave her Marisol and while she thinks the doll is okay, she rarely, if ever, picks her up. It is always one of the other American Girl dolls that she plays with. I guess each child is different.
-
October 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Definatly GO For Marisol - YOu certainly won't lose money on her [img]redface.gif[/img] )
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks